Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mondays class was important to me

My intenet at my house decided to stop working so I am on my phone. Thank god for wifi. I wanted to do my post on how intresting class was on Monday and how it made me think about the play in a different way.
Paul brought a lot of insight to class yesterday. One thing that I learned is that reading is one thing but seeing is another. In class we always dig deep into the literature and historical background to discover what the author is saying in a piece. In Gay's time when a person was going to see the opera, more than likely that person did not read the play before attending. Therfore, I can see  how actors portayed these characters is very important. What if the actor did not understand Filch's character inside and out? The perfomance would probably be pretty bad to us who have read the play and understand the character, but for someone who hasn't read it (which was most who attended in that tine as said before) the actor might have seemed just fine.
Another thing that Paul did in class was he really made it clear that how the actor delivers the line is very important. I don't have really much to say about this other than when I read the beggars opera now, I think about how the actor would say the line and it effects my reading.
Concluding this post, basically mondays class changed the way I think about The Beggars Opera. When I read it before I read it as a novel and just never concidered how it was a play. Now I think about how the actors would act each scene out and I also picture Jeremy as Peachucm (even though that's probably not as helpful as possible)... "Married!?"


Sorry for any grammar errors. I don't like typing on this phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment