I wasn’t convinced with the argument from Gulliver’s Travels. I had an alternate
theory, but, without sufficient evidence, I didn’t have a full-fledged argument
to comment in class. Anyway, what I took from the book wasn’t such a cynical
view as was discussed in class. I think the prevailing message is one of
acceptance rather than exclusion. When Gulliver traveled to Lilliput, he was
too big to fit in; when he traveled to Brobdingnag, he was too small and
treated like an object; we he traveled to the flying island of Laputa, he couldn’t
relate to the head-in-the-clouds people there; and when he traveled to the
unknown land inhabited by the Houyhnhms and the Yahoos, he again couldn’t find
a place where he fit in. When a person, in this case Gulliver, looses touch
with his identity, madness is bound to ensue. That said, I think the criticism
of human behavior, although true and accurately observed, is a bit
hypocritical. Take the race of intelligent horses for example: for all their
smarts and grace, the Houyhnhnms couldn’t get past the fact that Gulliver
looked too much like a Yahoo. As much as Gulliver wanted to live with them,
which was just as much as he didn’t want to return home, the Houyhnhnms were
unable to get over his outer appearance. I know I wouldn’t want to be where I’m
not accepted.
On another note: I noticed one thing that the arrival of
Gulliver influenced—in each strange land the populace was united, even if
temporarily, and everyone reacted once they were aware of Gulliver’s presence.
This sort of reaction is in a way universal. As per my usual pop culture
reference, in every Hollywood blockbuster (Independence
Day, Armageddon, etc.) depicting
the end of the world or an alien invasion, people usually come together in an
effort to save the planet. Humans get all peace and love with each other, but
in Gulliver’s Travels this is a common theme as well.
So as I stated above, I think if Gulliver could have seen
that his place is with humans, he would have been better off instead of old and
delirious and neglectful. But I think Swift left him that way to show readers
what not to become.

First of all Vince I hope you are feeling well man. I definitely can see the way you view this book now. I would argue though that in class im not sure if the word to describe the way we reviewed the book as cynical, but then again I don't know the word to describe the way we approached it so maybe you are right. BTW awesome picture man I love it!
ReplyDelete