Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Back to the Future (in 1728)

I must admit that if I were to go back in time, I would make a stop in 1728 to see this play on opening night. The satire conforms to a high degree of rigidity and if it were interpreted otherwise, the full enjoyment of grasping this ballad-opera is completely missed. 

The views on marriage and the relationship between men and women is difficult to overlook: "Married! If the Wench does not know her own Profit, sure she knows her own Pleasure better than to make herself a Property!" (1.1.22-3) First of all, I thought it was hilarious that he said "Wench"; I could hear the accent and everything. I can imagine Johnny Depp swaying back and forth, swinging his dreads but, I digress. As marriage is made the object of ridicule, some of the rigidity which correlates to the play's satire is found in the lack of romance or a normal functioning relationship. I also believe these lines are directly targeted towards the typical Italian operas with the ubiquitous, predictable romantic story. 




2 comments:

  1. Agreed, I'd also like to have been in the theatre on opening night absorbing the nuances of the audience. It would only be fun if you retained your current knowledge and historical perspective. The use of satire here reminds me of the 1890 play Hedda Gabler by Henrick Ibsen, who wrote about reality when the fantastic was in vogue. The Beggar's Opera is very similar to Hedda Gabler in that respect, both confronting the conventional understandings of the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to see The Beggar's Opera when it was originally performed. Also, I find it cool that you referenced Back to the Future in the title of this post, since that's yet another story dealing with the relationship between parents and children, as well as subverting expectations about social groups.

    ReplyDelete