Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Swift and Stone may break my bones


When I started reading Gulliver’s Travels I was surprised to find that my mind kept wandering to bad episodes of the adult-oriented television show South Park. I don’t watch a lot of the show but something about the book kept bringing me back to the four boys at a bus stop. I kept trying to push these strange thoughts out of my head, but it was right around chapter 2 when I began to realize the connection between the two mediums. Specifically, the passage where Gulliver describes the way he relieves himself at the beginning of chapter 2 was what brought South Park foremost to my mind. Gulliver (Swift) goes to great detail to describe the way he relieves himself when he is bound by a chain by the Lilliputians. I found myself confused here, wondering if this is meant to be humorous or if Swift was including all of this detail in order to save face. It was during class when I began to realize that, like Defoe, Swift sold Gulliver’s Travels as if it had been written by the fictional protagonist of the story. With this knowledge, the idea of the author saving face goes out the window. I concluded that Swift include this long paragraph not only to make his readers laugh, but to also quietly remind them that they are, in fact, reading a satirical work. The reason this reminds me of the television show South Park is because Trey Parker and Matt Stone deliver their brand of anti-political and anti-religious messages the same way. The humor is certainly there in both cases; the term used in class to describe it was “scatological.” But Gulliver’s Travels, like South Park, is a complicated political satire cleverly wrapped up in a ludicrous bout of imagination. Jonathan Swift uses his four stories to address various political and religious issues in the 1700’s in the same way that Trey Parker and Matt Stone use different episodes of their television show to address issues today. Swift truly may have stumbled onto a clever way to mask his opinion in humor with the inclusion of this graphic paragraph in the novel. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting analogy. My question is: does a TV show make a novel? By that I mean to say that the term "episodic" very easily applies to TV - it means that all the episodes don't add up to anything larger. There is no one big moral to draw out of, let's say, The Simpsons or Three's Company. Does Gulliver's Travels add up to anything more than 4 stories. That's a question for Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete