Of course, Gulliver's towering size over the Lilliputians is symbolic of England's and Ireland's relationship with one another. The section of reading which caught my attention regarding satire and these rivals' embittered, tumultuous relationship describes the portions that Gulliver consumes while under the care or imprisonment of the Lilliputians:
"I took these Vehicles, and soon emptied them all; twenty of them were filled with Meat, and ten with Liquor, each of the former afforded me two or three good Mouthfuls, and I emptied the Liquor of ten Vessels, which was contained in earthen Vials, into one Vehicle, drinking it off at a Draught, and so I did with the rest."This is not the first description of Gulliver's appetite though the descriptive detail of portions is purposeful and significant. The first time Gulliver's appetite is revealed to the reader, it pushes the Lilliputians toward terrifying amazement: "I eat them by two or three at a mouthful, and took three Loaves at a time... They supplyed me as they could, shewing a thousand Marks of wonder and astonishment at my Bulk and Appetite." Gulliver's appetite is a distinct image which acts as an integral piece Swift's masterpiece of satire. I believe Swift uses the huge portions to illustrate avaricious consumption of resources and value which are eventually wasted away, literally. Gulliver uses the efforts of these hard-working Lilliputians to feed only himself, and then he defecates and urinates everywhere. However, he has to "relieve" himself somehow and he has to do it somewhere. He also has to survive by way of sustenance because the Lilliputians are afraid that Gulliver might destroy them. The Lilliputians are in a tricky, smelly place.
I found your post to be quite humorous. Your assessment of Swift's satirical prowess is good, particularly his ability to defamiliarize the reader with his or her own sensibility in order to really capture the strangeness in everything. I think you were right on with the connection of Gulliver's and Lilliputians' relationship to England's and Ireland's. The amount of food and the rapidity with which Gulliver consumes is representative of the England's own consumption, and consequently the strain that is placed on the Irish (Lilliputian) to support them. The Lilliputians do explore other options, but they are indeed in a very trick and smelly place.
ReplyDelete