Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week 12- The London Merchant

I found the scene between Barnwell and his uncle to be the most intriguing and confusing of the play. I am not a parent myself, nor have I done anything remotely close to raising someone else, so Lenape I'm at a disadvantage but I cannot understand the idea of completely unconditional log. At least not in the all encompassing, all forgiving way that Barnwell's uncle shows. Many parents claim this love for their children, but I have a hard time believing if the occasion arose they would use their last breath to forgive their child of murdering them, if only because the sense of betrayal would be too great. Lillo seems to have included in Barnwell's uncle the innate sense of foreboding, causing him perhaps to be more aware of and therefore more prepared for his own death, but even so it's almost laughably unbelievable. For as much as I love my parents and my brother, if one of them were to stab me my last act and words would certainly be an expression of indignant betrayal. Perhaps if asked for my forgiveness I may grant it, but I certainly wouldn't it up willingly and unprompted. I understand this play is a work on morality, but this borders on Pamela-esque goodness. Something to strive towards perhaps, but certainly unlikely to attain such a level of pure moral excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment