First things first; what happened to the spelling of the word "awkward"? If I could use the spelling demonstrated in this passage, I think it'd be sweet... "aukward". Anyways, I find Wild's unveiled honesty, let's say, refreshing but, at the same time I feel as though Fielding is using Wild as a source of satire. Rather than improve himself, he prefers to be simply, the best of the worst and ridicules the essence of pride. This idea is indeed "somewhat coarse" and completely contrary to pride but as Wild described, his pride is "aukward". Interestingly enough, his next thought is "I have always thought it signifies little into what Rank of life I am thrown, provided I make a great Figure therein...I am far from agreeing with you, that great Parts are often buried in Oblivion;... there were not fewer than a thousand in Alexander's Troops capable of performing what Alexander himself did." I believe Fielding is using Wild to represent the other side of the spectrum, which was an idea discussed in class this week. When the idea of greatness is presented as Wild by Fielding, he is the kind of greatness revealed, and the context in which this greatness should be perceived.
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
The Great and Powerful Wild
In Chapter V, the dialogue between Wild and La Ruse roused my interest; I have to admit I was a bit fascinated with this passage: I must own, my Father hath often persuaded me to push myself into the Company of my betters; but to say the Truth, I have an aukward Pride in my Nature, which is better pleased with being at the Head of the lowest Class, than at the bottom of the highest. Permit me to say, tho' the Idea may be somewhat coarse, I had rather stand on the Summit of a Dunghil, than at the bottom of a Hill in Paradise;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment