Before writing this post I thought way back to when this
course started and began charting the movement of crime and punishment in the
class—from Foucault, who talked about punishment moving from the body to the
mind and how incarceration can alter a person’s identity; to Defoe, who wrote
in Moll Flanders about Moll’s time in
Newgate and the misery of being there; to, now, Beccaria, who says in On Crime and Punishments that the
purpose of punishment “is nothing other than to dissuade the criminal from
doing fresh harm to his compatriots and keep other people from doing the same”
(23). Trying to make sense of the arc set out and how Foucault relates to
Beccaria, after a quick search I read that the French philosopher Voltaire
influenced the Italian Beccaria. This makes sense because I see a lot of Enlightenment
language in the text and the period in which the text was written coincides
with the movement.
If my memory serves me correctly, Dr. Cervantes read a
passage from Hutchinson where he argued for the need of a society where people
employ a moral sensibility versus being ruled by vice to conduct their lives. I
know moral sensibility doesn’t equate to reason, which is what Beccaria seems
to be appealing to; but in drawing from the correlation of a moral society to
stability, Beccaria seems to imply that the use of reason leads to achieving
the same stability that Hutchinson proposed. So in laying out the origins of
punishment, the balance between crimes and punishments, the forms of
punishment, and other related topics, Beccaria unfolds his argument for the
necessity for effective and objective justice. If punishment is supposed to make
crime seem less appealing, then it would make sense for a person not to be a
repeat offended. This theory puts a lot of faith in people and assumes people
are reasonable. That’s not to say Beccaria’s argument is all for not, but today’s
society is a great indicator it doesn’t really work that well.
Hey Vince great post man.
ReplyDeleteMy comment to you will be about in today's society does it really work. I agree that it doesn't work very well, however it may work for some people. The major crimes usually get 20+ years and when those guys get out I bet it works very well. If someone commits a crime and the punishment is a fine or a year or two in jail, I agree bud, it doesn't work very well