Sometimes you can tell if you want to continue reading a book after you read the first page. If the first page is boring I usually move on to something else (unless it is required to read for class). After reading the first page of Caleb Williams I definitely wanted to continue reading. I thought about what we have discussed so far in class. One thing that we have went over is how the poor were viewed and treated during the 18th century; and in Caleb's case there is no difference from what we have discussed so far. Even though the poor may be right it some case, they will still be punished or mistreated if they speak out or have different view points than the tyrant rich" (Godwin 1). My enemy has shown himself inaccessible to intreaties and untired in persecution. My fame as well as my happiness, has become his victim. Every one, as far as my story has been known, has refused to assist me in my distress and gas execrated my name. I have not deserved this treatment."
One of the differences I see in this book early on compared to Wild is how they relate to their parents. If I remember correctly Wild was just like his father and his father's father... they all cheated and stole and basically were criminals. My initial thought after reading about Caleb's parents was that Caleb was going to differ from them as I continued reading. Even though Caleb was raised poor just as they were, I really thought that Caleb was not going to be humble and as acceptive of his place in society and how he was treated as they were. I also thought that he was going to be smarter than them as well (if he already was not). "I was born of humble parents in a remote county of England.... But I had an inquisitive mind, and neglected no means of information from conversation or books. My improvement was greater than my condition in life afforded room to expect" (Godwin 1).
I have read further on now and obviously the book is more than just rich vs poor. Maybe I was close or I might have been totally off, but in class we discussed about how this was a book about Godwin's views about a tyrannical government and his views on the justice system. After re-reading some of the chapters in volume 1, I can start to see how this possibly could be a book about that and I am sure I will see it even more as I read Volumes 2 and 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment