Perihelion
per·i·he·li·on (OED
Defintion)
1. Astron. The point in the orbit of a planet, comet, etc.,
at which it is nearest to the sun.
When Dr. Cervantes suggested using the ECCO database for a
blog post, I was intrigued with the idea of uncovering the origins of Jonathan
Swift’s word choice (and the potential for extra credit in the form of two for
one blog posts). But as I read the first two books in Gulliver’s Travels, I
never really stumbled across anything that truly piqued my interest. But in
book three, I found a paragraph that made me really curious. The paragraph in
question, or the word, actually, can be found a few pages into chapter two.
“For if its perihelion it should approach within a certain
degree of the sun (as by their calculations they have reason to dread) it will
conceive a degree of heat ten thousand times more intense than that of red-hot
glowing iron; and in its absence from the sun, carry a blazing tail ten hundred
thousand and fourteen miles long; through which if the earth should pass at the
distance of one hundred thousand miles from the nucleus or the main body of the
comet, it must in its passage be set on fire, and reduced to ashes.”
Now, initially, I wanted to look into the word “comet.” To
my knowledge, I wasn’t even aware that 18th century british writers would have
any idea what a comet is. After all, it was less than a mere 5 centuries before
Swift that humanity had discovered that the earth wasn’t flat. The notion of
Swift understanding what a flying rock through space is was definitely
interesting. However, during class we discussed Newtonian discovery
pre-Gulliver, so I figured that analyzing the word comet would simply be a
rehashing of the information we had already covered. So I went for a different
approach. I decided to go for a word that seemed to imply celestial bodies
while also being a word that I don’t often hear: Perihelion. So, after
searching the word “perihelion,” I found this:
Astro-theology or a demonstration of the being and
attributes of God, from a survey of the heavens. Illustrated with copper
plates. By W. Derham. Chapter 4 –
“Thus according to the before commended Sir Isaac Newton’s
(b) computation, the Comet in 1680, in its Perihelion, was above 166 times
nearer the Sun than the Earth is; and consequently its Heat was then 28000
times greater than that of Summer: So that a Ball of Iron as big as the Earth,
heated by it, would hardly become a comet in 50000 years.”
This is definitely interesting material. Not only does this
work sound very similar to Swifts, but it seems that Swift’s work directly
echoes this passage. This passage seems to tell me everything I was looking
for: it tells me that the comet that Swift is talking about is definitely
formulated from what he had heard from the work of Isaac Newton. Following
this, the use of Perihelion is directly associated with Comet, which tells me
that perihelion is definitely a word that has to do with celestial bodies, and
not just a word to describe an object in motion. Finally, I can get a glimpse
as to why Swift used this information as a satire. This information just sounds
crazy for the time, and I’m sure Swift felt it was probably a little ludicrous
as well. No wonder he used it to describe a culture of seemingly crazy
individuals.
Reading the passage where this word was mentioned reminded me of a physics class I took last semester where we measured the distance from the earth to the sun and other points in the galaxy using shadow trajectory. The numbers we dealt with were so large that I lost interest because dealing with scales so unimaginable seemed irrelevant. It seems Swift feels the same way, poking fun at astro physicists. I love the line: "blazing tail ten hundred thousand and fourteen miles long."
ReplyDelete