Monday, January 14, 2013

Cops - Resisting Arrest

1 comment:

  1. From the issues by Foucault in his book. 1. The criminal activity that occurs to give rise to the alleged criminal being taken into custody. The man in the video becomes a known criminal because it is shown in the video via warrant and marijuana. The man in the video, as compared to the historical documents examined and expounded by Foucault of the 18th and 19th century of alleged criminals, makes his own life more difficult by resisting a lawful search. In this day and age, at least in theory, police officers cannot conjure up charges behind closed doors or fabricate accusations although a multitude of grey area does exist, the area is known as police discretion.
    2. Public displays of state power with regards to apprehension of criminals. I personally watch COPS to see displays of power. I do not care what shape or form it is in. If it is a cop clubbing an alleged criminal, I think it's great. If it is a criminal engaging a cop in an altercation, I think it is great. I think that all humans within a society have a deep need to observe displays of power, some have greater levels than others. Aside from being secretive and dishonest I think the conclusion of the public execution in the 19th century is rather sad. (OPINION. NOT A FACT.) I think if one of the reasons that helped the public torture and execution come to an end was because the citizens mocked the botched displays of power and thereby questioned the states power then they (the citizens) were unreasonable. It would be like a human who tried to squeeze blood from a stone, or demanded perfection when the idea of perfection rests inside the observer’s own mind. They were ignorant of the fact that there is always ~10% variation of outcomes. (OPINION. NOT A FACT.) Even if their ignorance was not the case, which is not provable, who cares if the execution was botched? Whats a little more torture and humor at the expense of a fated human? Otherwise, if the state wanted to show force they should have waited for the citizens to start mocking and laughing and then corralled those citizens into a firing line. Another alternative would be the pillary/wheel on fire. (This might have already been done.) Those ideas might not have worked because the militia is generally from the same populace as the citizens.

    ReplyDelete